Sunday, July 7, 2013

Blackberry Basil Fontina Grilled Cheese

Mmm berry good. 


I'm a big fan of grilled cheese. Last New Year's Eve my friend lovingly made everyone post-party grilled cheeses, and I jacked them all and ran upstairs with them. But that's a story for another time... These grilled cheese paninis are something special. They feel summery and decadent, because it's not every day you add sweetness to a savory cheesy sandwich. This fourth of july weekend it just felt right to enjoy one of these blackberry-stuffed beauties in the backyard under the shade of an umbrella. 

Shopping List: 
1 basket of blackberries
fontina cheese
1 bunch of basil
sourdough bread
butter to dot the bread
kosher salt

Simple as that. Note my sassy "Where's my chauffeur" nail polish. 
The best bread to use for paninis is sourdough. There's no good alternative. It gets crispy and crunchy much better than wheat bread, and surprisingly, sourdough is sugar free--something I can get on board with! Lightly butter the outsides of the bread slices so they will brown and sizzle in the panini press (or in the pan.) 

Shred the fontina onto the bottom slice. Cover it in blackberries--the more the merrier! Slice the basil leaves and scatter them evenly on the bread. Add MORE fontina cheese until your heart's content. Sprinkle a pinch of salt in to cut the sweetness of the berries. Close the sandwich and lower the press. 


Let the sandwich stay in the panini press for a good long while so the cheese is melted and the flavors come together all gooey and delicious. 

Kinda sultry, right?
Note my mother's darling 4th of July centerpieces. 
The cheesier the better...
Don't bother me. I'm eating.
Another idea is to use blueberries and thinly sliced strawberries for a more patriotic grilled cheese. Also, next time I think I'll make a lemon butter to add some tartness. But this variety is good, too. Promise! 

Happy 4th of July weekend. Keep the celebration rolling, friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment