Saturday, June 15, 2013

English Breakfast Bircher Muesli

Bircher muesli is hands-down my favorite British food. 

(Disclaimer: This isn't the finished product, just the prettiest picture I have.) 

It even trumps Mcvitie's dark chocolate digestive biscuits, which is saying A LOT. Since my semester in London came to an end, I have been CRAVING bircher muesli. It's a common breakfast and afternoon snack in the UK, packed with fruit, oats, nuts and yogurt. Basically, it's heaven in a bowl. The fun part is that bircher muesli is as versatile as you are creative. My version includes toasted coconut, blueberries, apple and sliced almonds but you can add in whatever you like. I've had it with pistachios, nectarines, pear and pomegranate seeds. It should be a mash-up of all your favorites! I highly recommend bircher muesli to fans of acai bowls and oatmeal ("porridge" to the Brits). But it's different! It's special! And you're gonna love it. 

Shopping List: 
1 cup of oats
3/4 cup of low-fat vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup of coconut (not pictured)
2 handfuls of blueberries
2 handfuls of sliced almonds
1 fuji apple
drizzle of honey 
(diet coke not included in recipe-- hehe) 

This recipe serves 2-3, if you're into sharing...



Start by soaking the oats in the almond milk, so they moisten and expand. I mixed in a drizzle of honey. Set in the fridge for one hour. 


Typical Bircher muesli has finely shredded apple. BUT, my mom doesn't have a fancy apple shredder, so I cut  the apple into slices using her fancy apple slicer. Then I cut off the skin and sliced the apple into thin slivers. Squeeze lemon on top to prevent browning. 




After 1 hour, bring out the oat, milk, honey concoction. Add the yogurt. 


 Now add the fruit, nuts and toasted coconut. Add another drizzle of honey if you're feeling a bit naughty. 



Mix it all up and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.



Enjoy, Cheerio!




No comments:

Post a Comment